Saturday, May 8, 2010

Martin HD-28 Review


C.F. Martin's HD-28 on stage at the Corner Cafe. Levy's Leathers Platinum Collection Guitar Strap. Hercules Tilt Base Mic Stand.


Up until now, I have been performing with my Martin D-16GT which has a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides. Like my HD-28, I had a Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend under the saddle pickup installed at the Martin Factory. This pickup system does not require cutting into the guitar, preserving its beauty and function as an acoustic. The Matrix Blend allows you to combine and adjust the under the saddle pickup with the mic pic up to suit your playing needs. With my D-16, I switched to light Martin Acoustic strings because with my guitar amp, I found that the bassiness of the medium strings caused too much feedback.

The Martin HD-28 has a solid Sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides. It is a full gloss guitar with beautiful herringbone binding and purfling down the back. However, where it shines is in the sound. This is a powerhouse instrument. Acoustically, it can easily fill a room without an amp. With an amp, (I use a vintage USA made Crate GX-20M on the road and a Tech21 Trademark 60 in the studio), it truly stands out with all its multi-tones. I simply choose the cleanest possible channel and adjust from there. The HD-28 is such a powerful and
loud guitar due in part to the scalloped X-bracing invented by C.F. Martin. This lighter, sculpted bracing allows the soundboard to vibrate much more freely, making the HD-28 sound quite "opened up" over its D-28 brother.

I found that on stage, I needed to back off of the strumming and picking a bit. The amp just reads that as too much gain but since I also play this guitar acoustically, changing to lighter strings is not an option. I also turned off the chorus. This guitar has plenty of "chime" without adding that effect. All in all I would recommend backing off the volume or gain on your guitar and amp for the cleanest tones. Otherwise you may end up with unwanted distortion and feedback.

I use a Medium Martin Tortoise Pick and a Planet Waves Dual Action Capo & Custom Pro Series Cables with the HD-28. I find that the PW Capo does not pull the guitar out of tune and their cables are superior for quietness. I packed the HD-28 in my Martin Gig Bag (SEE this REVIEW) which was much lighter than the hardshell case and easier to transport to the stage area. Actually, everything got carried in one trip. I was very impressed playing my Martin HD-28 for the first time in concert and am looking forward to using it again at my next gig with these adjustments. A true cannon!

MODEL HD-28
CONSTRUCTION: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
BODY SIZE: D-14 Fret
TOP: Solid Sitka Spruce
ROSETTE: Style 28
TOP BRACING PATTERN: Standard ''X'' Scalloped
TOP BRACES: Solid Sitka Spruce 5/16''
BACK MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
BACK PURFLING: HD Zig-Zag
SIDE MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood
ENDPIECE: White Boltaron
ENDPIECE INLAY: Black/White Boltaron
BINDING: White Boltaron
TOP INLAY STYLE: Bold Herringbone
SIDE INLAY: none
BACK INLAY: Black/White Boltaron
NECK MATERIAL: Select Hardwood
NECK SHAPE: Low Profile
NUT MATERIAL: Bone
HEADSTOCK: Solid/Diamond/Square Taper
HEADPLATE: Solid East Indian Rosewood /Raised Gold Foil
HEELCAP: White Boltaron
FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Solid Black Ebony
SCALE LENGTH: 25.4''
# OF FRETS CLEAR: 14
# OF FRETS TOTAL: 20
FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1-11/16''
FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT 12TH FRET: 2-1/8''
FINGERBOARD POSITION INLAYS: Style 28
FINGERBOARD BINDING: none
FINISH BACK & SIDES: Polished Gloss
FINISH TOP: Polished Gloss ; Sunburst available at additional cost.
FINISH NECK: Satin
BRIDGE MATERIAL: Solid Black Ebony
BRIDGE STYLE: Belly
BRIDGE STRING SPACING: 2-1/8''
SADDLE: 16'' Radius/Compensated/Bone
TUNING MACHINES: Chrome Enclosed w/ Large Buttons
RECOMMENDED STRINGS: Martin Studio Performance Medium Phosphor Bronze (MSP4200)
BRIDGE & END PINS: White w/ Black Dots
PICKGUARD: Tortoise Color
CASE: 640 Molded
INTERIOR LABEL: none
ELECTRONICS: Optional
OTHER OPTIONS: Available left-handed at no additional charge

Congratulations to ANGIE M. of N.Y. the WINNER of our MAY Guitar Gear Give-Away!!! Be sure to check our listings below for upcoming SHOWS, JAMS and OFFERS this summer!

No comments: